Sunday 8 December 2013

Not a usual Thursday night in Hullbridge... **BUDDY RETURNS!!**

Before I fill you in on Buddy's performance, I must tell you about the backstory I have with Bud. 7 years ago (December 2006), I attended my first gig; John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Buddy was the guitarist of choice accompanying John Mayall, and boy - what a guitarist Mayall chose.

I had an interview with Buddy talking about all things blue, before the performance that night. That evening, he made a 15 year old 'Me' very happy, answering any question asked, and with great detail too. So, 7 years on EXACTLY, I find The Buddy Whittington Band are playing at the Touchline in Hullbridge. Now.. I don't believe in "omens". But c'mon, that one's obvious, right?

So, the fact of the matter is, I'm going to be catching up with Buddy over the next few days. 

***Interview to follow***

So, as the anticipation rose in the room, every-so-often you could see Bud's face peering from the backstage curtain before disappearing again. I knew it wasn't going to be a big band, but when Buddy appeared bringing only his bassist and a drummer, I was interested in how himself and his two band mates could play the blues without feeling like there's anything missing. 

"Pay The Band" was the first number - I wonder why? *chuckle*. They just belted head-first into this toe-tapping, booty-shaking riff which I couldn't get enough of. Another tune; I'm sure we all know that famous John Mayall LP "The Beano Album"? Well, Without any fear, Buddy went straight into "All Your Love" - with gusto. What a sexy version - he took it by storm.

[For anyone who wants to hear the original, look for: Otis Rush "All Your Love" 1956 Cobra Records]

The music as a whole had a hint of the Deep South, but firmly keeping his bluesy roots. Throughout the whole performance, the bassist and drummer seemed to fill all the gaps, and melodies (either percussive or tonal) to make the band sound like a 4 or 5 piece. What a show. What I found particularly  nice was the respect and friendly affection towards John Mayall. Whilst speaking between songs, Whittington spoke about Mayall's Beano Album dubbing Mayall as "My ol' Boss". 

So if you have the chance to see the man himself live - do it. I'll be talking to him about what what he's been up to lately, and what's changed since we last spoke. Keep your eyes peeled. 



Next week hopefully I'll have my interview with Big Boy Bloater transcribed read for you all to read, so as always;



Over and Out!


2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this gig - sounds right up my blues alley! John Mayall's got a solid history of talent spotting hasn't he - Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fantastic gig. Intimate and a lot of communication between Buddy and the audience! He has a yearly appearance around this neck of the woods so hopefully we'll see him next year too.

    ReplyDelete